Two Minutes with...
Welcome to our new 'Two Minutes' series, where we nab an industry insider and fire off 10 quick questions to get a snapshot of their views on the world of distilling. First up, Tony.
Tony, Strathearn Distillery, Scotland
1. What’s your favourite dram at the moment? It's got to be Strathearn single malt as it has just come of age.
2. How do you drink your whisky? With a drop of water but depends a lot on the whisky.
3. What whiskies can you recommend for someone just starting out? Oh – tricky as it depends so much on what people like. Cragganmore Distillers Edition (port cask).
4. What attracted you to the whisky industry? Whisky gave me a headache, then I discovered good malt doesn’t!
5. How do you see the industry changing over the next 10 years? The big boys will pretend to be craft but don’t know what to do about us.
6. What do you know of English whisky? We’re going to make some.
7. What does the word ‘craft’ mean to you? Hand-crafted.
8. How would you describe a typical whisky drinker these days? Aged between 18 and 102, male or female.
9. What do you think are the biggest challenges facing new distillers/distilleries? Planning.
10. What advice can you give to us (Cooper King Distillery) just starting out? Come and talk to us!